Innovations / Product Overview
The Stal provides you and your team with benefits that save you money, time and equipment, providing a secure solution to the all too common contamination control problems inherent in the use of the Yankauer suction instrument.
Three Problems solved at once! Contamination Happens – we all know that. It’s just that it happens at the least opportune moment and usually results in the proverbial “s.n.a.f.u.” causing at least annoyance, at worst - life-threatening adverse conditions.
The STAL Shield and Stand was first conceived for use as a shield for the Yankauer suction wand. Trial and open ended thinking have found a host of unexpected benefits and applications.
The original concept of bio-contaminant shielding remains whether used with the Yankauer, a scalpel for lancing or a variety of irrigation delivery methods. For all three applications a great majority of the splash and ejected contamination is stopped by the STAL.
The Stal Shield significantly reduces contamination from the source by:
- The STAL Shield and Stand provides significant biohazard protection for Healthcare providers in a broad spectrum of practices and a host of applications. Emergency Airway management, wound care, abscess drainage and other procedures all benefit from the use of the STAL Shield and Stand.
- Introducing the STAL Shield and Stand – a revolutionary adjunct to bio-hazard management that affordably and effectively improves the safety and cleanliness of your medical setting.
- The STAL Shield is a simple and natural adaptation to numerous medical devices…the Yankauer suction catheter, scalpels and irrigation syringes are a few of the instruments which are used worldwide in highly contaminated situations. Emergency Rooms, OR’s, EMS systems, Veterinary, Military personnel, remote field medics, First Responders and clinics can all benefit by the application of the STAL Shield and Stand to their practice.
- Until now one of the major sources of contamination of the sterile/clean medical field has been the patient him or herself. Many routine and emergency procedures propagate and spread contaminants, sometimes across the room when least expected. Oral or other suctioning activities, draining of abscesses and the irrigation of wounds all generate varying amounts of spray, ejectii, spurting, coughed or otherwise all of which in today’s medicine must be considered sources of infection, and bio-contamination.
The STAL Shield and Stand provides crystal clear visibility for the practitioner whether they be preparing for intubation, or other oral suctioning efforts with the Yankauer catheter. After use the STAL helps secure the Yankauer to it’s resting surface eliminating the somewhat crude but all-too-common practice of wedging it under the pillow. Or pretending it didn’t actually touch a dirty part of the floor.
Likewise as a scalpel shield the STAL secures in seconds to the handle, just above the blade giving unimpeded visualization to the physician tasked with the unpleasant procedure of draining an abscess. No longer need one chance stemming the outburst with a quick sponge…the STAL provides a domed shield containing any forcible undesirable exudate at the site…not on your smock, or worse. Put the scalpel on your tray and it stays of the surface and minimizes contamination of other equipment.
Irrigating wounds or the pocket just drained in the procedure above? Slide the STAL Shield and Stand onto the long tip of a 60 cc irrigation syringe and splash back of blood, and other potential bio-hazard vectors, is kept at the site, not on your assistant. Set the syringe down and the working end stays up and clear of its resting surface.
Does your unit use saline bottles specifically designed for irrigation? Just put the tip of the squeeze-bottle through the flexible Kraton diaphragm of the STAL and you are set! This applies both in human medicine, plus veterinary as well.
- The Stal Shield provides significant resistance to the Yankauer being dragged off its resting surface...by virtue of its unique design the Stal Shield holds the Yankauer to clothing or sheets, skin or most other surfaces countering that age old problem of the suction tubing's weight pulling the Yankauer on to the floor. Which is where the "5 second rule" was developed by the way...not from your bagel on the cafeteria floor!
- The Stal Shields crystal clear construction allows for unfettered visualization... while suctioning so that critical actions such as larygoscopy are not interrupted. Airway management procedures are often "one shot" operations. Now you see it - now you don't!. The Stals crystal clear construction allows for clear viewing of landmarks while shielding you and your clean field from all that you don't want in your face.